Dr. Cynthia Maro
4 months in the past, a younger canine named Luna got here into my apply limping. She had seen a couple of completely different medical doctors after sustaining a leg damage at 4 months of age. Regardless of unique X-rays displaying no proof of a damaged bone, Luna had swelling of the entrance leg which was not resolving and her leg was turning outward.
She had been prescribed ache drugs and cage relaxation (tough to realize for a younger pet). Her house owners had been disenchanted that the leg continued to develop with growing swelling and deviation, and Luna wouldn’t stroll on it, even with a help bandage.
Once I noticed her, she was a bundle of pent-up power, and he or she simply wished to run. Luna had been restricted for a lot too lengthy, in her opinion.
I made a decision to take X-rays and found adjustments that weren’t evident on the unique radiographs. It appeared that certainly one of Luna’s wrist bones had rotated into a unique place and there was proof of bone and joint an infection. Luna will need to have had a penetrating wound into her joint, on the time of her unique trauma, however the first veterinarian noticed no wound on the pores and skin.
Although conventional ideas on remedy embody acquiring a tradition and sensitivity of the joint, long-term antibiotics, and surgical flushing infusions of antibiotics, this remedy strategy would have been pricey, invasive and certain promoted extra joint trauma.
I mentioned ozone remedy with Luna’s house owners and so they determined they wished to strive it. Inside a couple of weeks, Luna was strolling on her leg and the swelling was resolving. After a sequence of non-surgical ozone joint injections, Luna returned to full perform.
So, why did one thing so simple as an O3 molecule assist Luna have decreased ache, irritation and management an an infection in a joint the place antibiotics couldn’t be as efficient?
Ozone has been used for therapeutic in animals and people for over 100 years, however individuals weren’t at all times positive about the perfect dosing and administration. Just lately, it has gained reputation in integrative veterinary practices, as scientists uncover extra functions and show its therapeutic advantages by way of ongoing analysis.
Along with medical functions, ozone is a non-toxic disinfectant used for swimming swimming pools, spas and water remedy techniques all through the world.
Ozone is O3, which implies it has three oxygen atoms. When these atoms react within the physique tissue, it breaks down into atypical oxygen (O2) and a reactive singlet oxygen molecule that may mix with chemical compounds and different molecules. When utilized by a skilled skilled, ozone could be very secure.
Advantages of ozone in drugs:
1. Ozone decreases irritation and ache. Ache, swelling and bruising of tissues all happen in low oxygen, excessive CO2 environments within the physique. Ozone brings oxygen to tissues, which immediately decreases irritation, ache, swelling, an infection and bruising.
2. Ozone improves immune perform. Ozone remedy stimulates cytokines, like interferons and interleukins, which trigger constructive adjustments all through the immune system. It additionally promotes the manufacturing of glutathione peroxidase, catalase, SOD and different enzymes, all a part of the protecting barrier of the cell wall, thereby enhancing mobile immunity.
3. Ozone inactivates viruses, micro organism, fungi and protozoa. These unhealthy bugs don’t have a protecting enzyme layer, however animals’ wholesome cells do. Ozone remedy disrupts organisms that trigger sickness, with out the necessity for antibiotics, when utilized on to the affected tissues within the type of a fuel, infused in saline or “bubbled by way of an oil.”
4. Ozone promotes cartilage therapeutic. Chondrocytes, the cells which make up the cartilage and produce viscous joint lubrication, are aided by ozone therapies. Joint well being improves as a direct results of ozone remedy.
5. Most cancers cells don’t like excessive oxygen environments. Ozone positioned right into a tumor causes most cancers cells to die. In circumstances of bladder most cancers, ozone remedy has produced remissions of tumors. Ozone can be infused into tumors when blended with the affected person’s personal blood or used on to infirm tumors.
Since ozone helps with the therapeutic of many issues, it may be added to many therapies:
- Saline fluids can be utilized as a flush (decreases irritation and ache) in/on wounds, within the bladder, rectum, ear, nostril, mouth; enema; and in IV or SQ fluids. In IV type, particular care is taken with regard to mixing with a affected person’s personal blood and infusing very exact quantities.
- Ozone may be percolated (with particular gear) by way of olive oil with or with out important oils for the pores and skin.
- We are able to administer ozone as a fuel by way of particular catheters, internally, or by sealing a wound in a particular bag.
- It can be injected as a fuel into joints with prolotherapy injections into injured tendons, ligaments and joints as prolozone remedy, stopping the necessity for surgical procedure in musculoskeletal accidents and arthritis.
So far, pets with the next situations have been healed with ozone as a part of their remedy:
- Cancers, together with bladder most cancers, comfortable tissue sarcoma of the toes, bone most cancers (OSA), oral tumors, pores and skin most cancers, Mast Cell tumors, and Hemangiosarcomas
- Continual ear infections
- Continual oral infections and gingivitis
- Autoimmune polyarthritis
- Torn ligaments together with ACL tears
- Kidney illness
- Quite a lot of gastrointestinal situations, together with IBD, IBS, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, recurrent Giardia infections, and Clostridium infections
As useful as ozone is, warning have to be used within the preparation (respiratory concentrated straight ozone is poisonous to the lungs), and route of administration to the tissues. Particular concentrations of the fuel are used to realize very particular tissue therapies ― joints reply higher to lowers concentrations than these wanted for most cancers therapies, for instance.
General, ozone is a superb remedy, however ensure you’re employed with somebody who has expertise and coaching earlier than your pet (or a member of the family) receives O3 therapies!
Dr. Cynthia Maro is a veterinarian on the Ellwood Animal Hospital in Ellwood Metropolis and the Chippewa Animal Hospital in Chippewa Township. She writes a biweekly column on pet care and well being points. You probably have a subject you’d prefer to have addressed, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.